Jill McCutcheon is co-head of the Financial Services Practice at Torys LLP. She specializes in insurance – corporate, regulatory and transactional matters. She has broad and extensive experience advising on all aspects of activity in the insurance industry including providing advice to the property and casualty, life and reinsurance sectors of the insurance industry. She advises on all aspects of the law, whether federal or provincial, and acts as counsel to insurers, reinsurers, banks, credit unions, intermediaries, cover holders and MGAs, third-party administrators, retailers, employers and associations. Jill is noted for her ability to:
- Draft and negotiate reinsurance, distribution and other specialized agreements germane to the sector;
- Respond to and resolve issues with the numerous regulators who impact on the insurance sector in Canada;
- Advise on the formation of insurers and obtaining federal and provincial regulatory approvals
- Advise on corporate governance matters
- Resolve distribution, market conduct, product, licensing and other regulatory issues on behalf of clients
Jill has been recognized as a leading lawyer in her field by Chambers Canada, L’expert, Who’s Who Legal: Insurance and Reinsurance, The Legal 500—Leading lawyer in insurance, in IFLR1000: The Guide to the World’s Leading Financial Law Firms, among others. Jill was the 2022 Client’s Choice Award Winner – Insurance & Reinsurance – Ontario & Canada.